Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blog Assignment 1

 About me:
  
 Hello, my name is Kathleen Lemoine. I am twenty-one years old and am an exercise science and physical education major at the University of South Alabama. I am a sophomore and began to attend this university because it was close to home and had a good physical education program. I live in Mobile, Alabama, and have lived here all of my life. I have two pets, a peek-a-poo named Peppermint and a manx named Set. For those of you who do not know, a peek-a-poo is a mix between a poodle and a pekingese to form what is called a designer dog breed. A manx is a breed of cat that is commonly born without a tail or has a bobbed or half-length tail.
     Some of my main interests include exercise and athletics. I enjoy many forms of exercise, including weight training, yoga, running, and cycling just to name a few. I work at the University of South Alabama's Recreation Center as a personal trainer. I am also a certified pilates instructor and am currently preparing for my certification in group fitness instruction. I want to enter the field of education because I have a passion for exercise and want to teach youth how to implement the benefits of exercise, nutrition, and other areas in health within their own lives. This will not only improve the health of students while they are in school, but will also help them in overall wellness throughout their entire lives.

Randy Pausch on Time Management:


     This video provided a great outline for improving time management strategies regarding work and school. Dr. Pausch lists several strategies that I believe will help me in this class, as well as with my other responsibilities this semester. One of the points that he stressed was creating a plan or to-do list, even if the plan will change you need a summary of the tasks you need to complete and when you need to have them completed. Two of the questions to help with planning this list were "Why am I doing this?" and "What happens if I chose not to do it?". The first question will keep you on the right track by making sure you know why you are doing the task and making sure you keep your goal in mind. In this class the goal is to learn as well as to complete the assignments to receive a passing grade to progress towards a degree. The second question will help when temptations to procrastinate or to not complete work arise. The answer to this question in class is simple, if you do not complete assignments you will  not receive a desirable grade. These strategies will prove to be useful in many aspects of life, not just obligations for school.

2 comments:

  1. I think being a coach is the best way to be an educator.

    Good luck in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going on a cruise with my family and many friends shortly-- so until then, we have the same interests: exercise and nutrition! Good luck this semester. Just like any work out routine-- if you put the time in along with quality effort, you are bound to see great EDM results!

    ReplyDelete